Forums

Forum Home > General questions concerning your hamster > 2nd Robo that died!

Kristi

My son had a Robo hamster die, after only having it 6 months.  We though it was just a crazy thing, and maybe the hamster got spooked, and her little heart just stopped.  We got another one less than 6 months ago (and of course sterilized the glass cage, waterbottle, got new litter, chewies, etc.  Tonight, again the little Robo was dead!  She was fine last night, ate her food, ran around, etc.  What is going on?  The one thing that I have been wondering, which may not have a thing to do w/ anything, but does a cool room make for a bad location?  My son's room stary cooler than the rest of the house, and he keeps his door shut all the time, to keep the cat from going in there and stalking the hamster.  Could this be the reason?  We got both past Robos as the same pet store, which is a smaller, neighborhood pet store.  Is there possibly something in the lines they are carrying w/ a genetic defect that is causing premature death by any chance?

--
May 4, 2010 at 12:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dukeslady

cooler room , depends how cool, they are used to cold desert nights, which I doubt your room would match in temperature, as long as they have a good supply of bedding ( shredded toilet tissue is best) they should be ok for warmth.

And  are you certain of the age of the hamster when you got it ?, usual life span is 18 months to  30 months,( 36 months is unusual but not unheard of) if she was an older hamster to start with, it may just have been old age.

poor health of robo from store, is a possibility, depending on whether their supplier is a dedicated breeder or someone doing it for money.

without an autopsy or obvious sign of a wound, it is very hard to tell, its very upsetting, and I am sorry for that, but not sure what else to suggest,

--

Do some research before you buy any pet !

Use the Search Feature on site to get results quickly ! 

Also please follow the sites "one photo per album" rule.

May 4, 2010 at 3:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Robohamsterify

my first two robos died couple hours of having it too. (this was 3 years ago) I kept going back to the same petstore and complaining. all they did was give me a new one which died in couple hours as well. The petstore is now closed down (maybe bc of the high death rates of animals? or maybe economy. not sure.) and another petstore had robos and they lived much longer! Could be the petstore. O.o

--

~Molly's Happy Hamsters!~

May 4, 2010 at 3:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Piparazzi

Actually, robo hamster life span is 3-3.5 years. I read this on this site, in books and on my research. It's possible some disease is in the cage that you couldn't do away with. It's also possible that this is just a coinky-dink.

--
PIPARAZZI
My hamsters are named Eskimo, Billie, and Beatrice
May 4, 2010 at 3:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

LuvMyRobo&Chinese

More than likely the robo was stressed from the other robos in the petstore. I have been to petstores where they had left a dead robo in the cage and I had to call the clerk to remove him. yours was probably attacked or stressed when you got him home. most petstore people doesnt care to look after them. they just think its their job just to feed them and water them and nothing more 

May 5, 2010 at 12:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kristi

Is there a reputible breeder of these little cuties?  Or is there a site that tells you by state where you can get a Robo?   After two died, I will not be getting another from the same pet store (just b/c I feel there may be a link there w/ unhealthy hamsters).

May 5, 2010 at 9:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MrsFish

Sorry , this is not acceptible from any pet-shop,there should be some kind of regulator checking up on the wellfair of ALL animals-in the larger stores and smallerones,good luck in your hunt for an assured breeder etc...perhaps the members who live in the USA could come to your help? ,Tracy:)

--

Mrs Fish

Please remember "1photo" per album rule guys ok...:D.

May 5, 2010 at 9:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kristi

Kristi at May 4, 2010 at 12:33 AM

My son had a Robo hamster die, after only having it 6 months.  We though it was just a crazy thing, and maybe the hamster got spooked, and her little heart just stopped.  We got another one less than 6 months ago (and of course sterilized the glass cage, waterbottle, got new litter, chewies, etc.  Tonight, again the little Robo was dead!  She was fine last night, ate her food, ran around, etc.  What is going on?  The one thing that I have been wondering, which may not have a thing to do w/ anything, but does a cool room make for a bad location?  My son's room stary cooler than the rest of the house, and he keeps his door shut all the time, to keep the cat from going in there and stalking the hamster.  Could this be the reason?  We got both past Robos as the same pet store, which is a smaller, neighborhood pet store.  Is there possibly something in the lines they are carrying w/ a genetic defect that is causing premature death by any chance?

I'm not exactly positive about the age.  I know the pet store does not have them too often, but I had assummed they were young, and they had just gotten them in.  Is there anyway to tell the age easily? 

May 5, 2010 at 4:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MrsFish

Hi,generally the older the hammy is the older it looks,grey hair in its fur,thinner,less bright and flighty,just wants a quiet/comfty retirement.... pretty much like us really.Tracy:)

--

Mrs Fish

Please remember "1photo" per album rule guys ok...:D.

May 5, 2010 at 5:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

nacho4life

The death of your hamster could have been internal causes. I bought my late robo nacho from a local pet store. all the baby hammies where from the same litter and they all but 2 ended up dead within a year beacuse of tumors or urethral blocks. It could be somthing genetic like that.

--

<3 my Campbell Forest and

her 5 babies

May 5, 2010 at 5:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

isa

I got to hamsters Teddy and Charlie Teddy was pregnat and then last night my mom put them outside cuz they made way  to much noise in the wheel and in the morning i went to check and they were good and alive and then when i got back from school i went to check and they were dead why did they die and was it because it was to hot or something bit them or they were scared to death IDK i want to know why they died and i only had them for like 1 week im so sad and the weirdest thing was that they both died at the same time:( My sister was crying like crazy cuz it was our first pet

Ps: guys im soo sorry about what happend to your hamsters

August 26, 2011 at 5:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

isa

I am so sad

--
August 26, 2011 at 5:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Robo_Gurl

Hi isa. I'm sorry to hear about your hammies :( You say your mom put them outside...that is not good. It could have been any number of things, from the heat, to a predator *cat, a bird, a dog* to literally being scared to death, as you mentioned. Were they kept in a tank or a cage? Tanks are great, but they do hold heat, and that alone would have been very dangerous in an outdoor enviornment.

--

I'm a http://roborovskihamsters.webs.com Moderator! If you need help, or have a question, feel free to contact me! :)

August 26, 2011 at 10:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

isa
Thanks they were in a big cage with a slide and a wheel and a bunch of stuff the worst thing was that they had their eyes open and they were up side down i$@be!!@
--
August 28, 2011 at 1:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

xmelax37

I am sorry to hear of your son's hamsters. My son and I  too lost one of our hamsters just recently (Buddy). He was not that old. I knew because he was smaller than was recently when we bought him. We got him in December. When I took Lucky to the vet (vet appts for hamsters are surprisingly not expensive) and he said that they were probably about 3 months old when we got them from the pet store. When I told him how long I read they lived for he told me they only lived for 12 to 18 months that you are lucky if they live to be longer. I told him I read 2 to 3 or at the most 4 years. He said that is rare and it can happen but idk. I still question his untimely passing. He didn't have anything coming out his nose and no bleeding. So it is hard to say what happened to your sons hamster. Our vet said he could have swallowed something he wasn't able to digest (I had just put in not long ago the carefresh colors (I no longer use just incase), or he could have had something else wrong...he gave me different reasons. Again, I am sorry to hear of your son's hamsters passing.

August 30, 2011 at 2:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.